Review the Research
Get summaries of key research on vitamin D and COVID-19
25 (OH) Vitamin D Levels of Patients with COVID-19 are not Associated with the Length of Hospital Stay.
Take Home Message
No statistically significant relationship was found between the patients’ length of hospital stay due to COVID-19 infection and their 25 (OH) vitamin D levels in patients aged 18 – 65 years.
- The average of 25 (OH) vitamin D levels of the patients was 21.44 ± 11.17 ng/mL.
- The average length of hospital stay was 9.41 ± 8.90 days.
- The length of stay was found to increase significantly in participants who were 45 years and older, who were male, those with chronic diseases, and those with lung involvement detected on thoracic CT imaging at the time of admission.
- No statistically significant difference appeared with respect to the length of hospital stay when the patients were evaluated according to their 25 (OH) vitamin D levels.
39 patients aged 18 – 65 years, whose 25 (OH) vitamin D levels were examined within 3 months prior to the diagnosis with PCR, and whose results were found ≥ 30 ng/mL, and those patients whose 25 (OH) vitamin D levels were examined within 3 months after the diagnosis with PCR, and whose results were found < 30 ng/mL. 61.5% were female, 38.5% were male, with a mean age of 48.64 ± 11.79 years.
Things to Keep in Mind
This study was conducted in individuals under 65 years of age and there was no control for confounding such as chronic disease making it difficult to generalize to other populations.
“No statistically significant relationship was found between the patients’ length of hospital stay due to the COVID-19 infection and their 25 (OH) vitamin D levels in patients aged 18 – 65 years. Further prospective clinical studies still need to be conducted with large numbers of patients excluding independent risk factors such as the presence of a chronic disease.”
- This retrospective study was conducted between March 15th and October 15th, 2020, among 768 patients who were hospitalized due to the diagnosis of COVID-19 infection confirmed with PCR tests taken at the Health Sciences University, Antalya Training and Research Hospital.
- The patients were grouped according to 25 (OH) vitamin D levels and evaluated in terms of length of hospital stay.